Watershed Champions and Projects Honored
The CCWF presents awards to acknowledge exceptional community members who have helped improve, restore or protect Contra Costa Watersheds. Nominations are submitted to CCWF staff, and decisions are made by a subcommittee of the CCWF. Awards for 2006 and 2007 were presented at the November 15, 2007 Creek and Watershed Symposium.
Watershed Champion of the Year
This award honors a person who worked to build partnerships and provide leadership in protecting, restoring or enhancing creeks and watersheds. He / she has inspired others to work collaboratively toward addressing conservation issues in Contra Costa County.
- Ms. Diane Burgis (2010/2011)
- Mr. R. Mitch Avalon (2006/2007)
- Mr. Whitney Dotson (2005)
- Ms. Rona Zollinger (2005)
Watershed Project of the Year
This award recognizes a project that restored, protected and/or enhanced a creek or watershed resource in Contra Costa County. If this project is a multi-year project, the bulk of the work needs to be completed in 2005. It does not matter whether a creek project is funded through grants, private funds, or government funds so long as it has made a significant improvement in the quality of a watershed / creek in the County in 2005.
- Restoration: Pinole Creek Demonstration Project (2010/2011)
- Restoration: Wildcat Creek Restoration at Rumrill Rd (2006/2007)
- Education: Watershed Action Program (2006/2007)
- Outreach: Mount Diablo Creek Watershed Management Plan (2006/2007)
- Baxter Creek Gateway Project in El Cerrito (2005)
- Rossmoor Detention Basin Expansion (2005)
Creek Monitoring Program Volunteer of the Year
This person has been an exemplary participant in the CCWF’s Creek Monitoring Program. He /she has gathered quality creek data, and/or contribution to the Program. If known, please include the number of hours the nominee has volunteered to the creek monitoring effort. The Contra Costa Watershed Forum Executive Committee may select up to three people from this category -- one person from west, central and east Contra Costa County.
- Brian Curran - East County
- Brad Heckman - Central County
- Kevin Sherrill - West County
- Brian Curran - East County
- Igor and Shirley Skaredoff - Central County
- Lawrie McDonnell - West County
- Mitch Schweickert - East County
- Lisa Anich - Central County
- Bill Voigt - West County
Watershed Forum Participant/Partner of the Year
This award honors a participant in the Contra Costa Watershed Forum who has been active in his / her watershed as well as in Watershed Forum activities. He / she has helped advance Forum goals by participating in CCWF meetings, building partnerships, providing technical support, participating in subcommittees, spearheading a CCWF project and/or inspiring others to be involved in creek and watershed activities.
- Lynne Scarpa, City of Richmond (2006/2007)
- Contra Costa Resource Conservation District and the Creek Signage Committee:Carol Arnold (RCD), Junko Bryant (RCD), Mary Grim (RCD), Leslie Engler (Mountain View Sanitary District), and Nancy Stein (Contra Costa County Watershed Program) (2005)
- Jamie Menasco (2005)